Thursday, July 26, 2012

Nailed It!: My Pin-spired Furniture Project


I am your typical broke college student! Every piece of furniture I own is some sort of hand-me-down and none of it matches. My headboard is white, my desk is darn brown, and the worst was this old-fashioned wood finish dresser that looked like it was on board the Delorean with Marty McFly. (And not in a good way.)

While pinning my heart out at work one day, I came across a couple of great inspirations. My step-by-step instructions for paint were found at thefrugalgirl.com and I found the idea for the front design at modpodgerocksblog.com.

The paint I used was just one quart of a primer + paint combination and it worked wonders. I know virtually nothing about paint, but the guys at Menard's were such a help! I took my time and applied three or four very thin coats and let it dry overnight.

I had originally planned to buy new handles, but my genius father suggested that I just sand the original handles enough to scratch the surface and spray paint them black.

The stickers are intended to be wall art from Target, but I turned it into furniture art. The bird stickers were easy to apply, but the tree was tricky. I started from the bottom and slowly worked my way up, making sure there were no creases. Once applied, I used a razor blade to cut the sticker where the shelves were. I messed up a little bit, but colored over the awkward cuts with a black Sharpie. Finally, I applied Mod Podge over all the stickers to help them stay attached.

Overall, the cost was roughly $35 and a weekend of labor for this custom dresser that reminds me of one of my favorite classic movies.

No comments:

Post a Comment